Out of Chaos: RS&F’s New Quarter (2020)
Out of the roiling chaos dances the Wide Wanderer, she who makes the North Wind and who kicks out the snake’s teeth. All things are hatched from the world egg……
*Sigh* Even Crow.
“What are you doing here?” I ask.
He gives me a cheesed look. “I heard you were going to make some pun about 2020 and hindsight as you reeled off some stuffy ‘year in retrospect’ guff.”
“And what if I was?”
“Isn’t it obvious?”
I shake my head.
“I’m here to save you from mediocrity.”
I puff out a breath. “Is this how it’s going to go on all year?”
Crow shrugs. “I can keep it up if you can.”
As I roll my eyes I consider the possibility that I might need to create some new characters for this sort of thing. Maybe one that’s a big, angry bear….. I shake my head because right now I was going to go over events of 2019 –
Crow holds up a hand to stop me. “Don’t. Just don’t. Let’s not live in the past when we have a whole new decade to look forward to.”
“Look forward too?” I reply, eyebrows arching. “Judging by what came before, I don’t share your optimism.”
“Indeed,” Crow cackles. “Twas a veritable abundance of Chaos, was it not?”
“That it was, dear Crow.”
“But ever out of Chaos were new worlds born.”
So here we go.
Caught in the swirling chaos of last year I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, some of which was sparked by the political situation here in England, and some of it as an extension of certain philosophical problems related to art and capitalism……
But I’m not going to go into that right now, and I don’t want to offend Crow by doing a stuffy retrospective. All there is to say is that I’m focused on the year ahead, with a vision to fulfil as I continue to refine this project around keeping the consistent content coming.
And as I move forward I’ll throw in whatever new thoughts and ideas I can. It’s going to be a challenge, but this kind of work oly develops by moving forward and seeing what grows out of the effort you put in. I hadn’t forseen some of the developments, but I like the idea of where it’s going right now and I want you guys to come along for the ride.
So first up, if there is something that you really enjoy about what I’m doing then leave a comment and let me know.
Secondly, in my post Janus Transition #2 I talked about what I was planning on delivering, so here are some details about what I’ll try to get done in the first quarter of 2020.
Ordering the Cosmos: 2020’s First Quarter
- Red Star Rising: having abandoned getting an agent, it was funny that I got another rejection letter a month ago – no rush! – but I’ve made it clear that this is a solo project now anway. So, it’s time to get those minor edits done and solicit for a few fresh test readers. I’ll put out a general call when it’s ready. Next – hire an editor – and once I get the feedback I’ll see how much I have to do to have it ready to print. Right now it’s been too long since I finished the revised draft and this will be out of hours priority.
- Shorts & Series: The Mind-Thistle Run is going to be coming out in sections soon. This will basically be a draft, so you’ll be free to let me know what you liked and what you didn’t. I also aim to deliver Irrevenant Part 2 and one or two other shorts that only need polishing off.
- Memoir: I’ve got a couple of these “yurt life” memoirs drafted. They’ll be more specific biographic pieces than what I served up previously.
- Reviews: coming up will be V for Vendetta, the Malazan Path to Ascendancy trilogy, Night Witches, and The Gutter Prayer. If I get time I’ll add some music to the list too.
On top of that there will be the usual articles and oddities, all starting soon.
And of course, more Crow…..
“Glad to hear it.”
“But do you think it’s enough?”
“Enough for what, dear Crow?”
“You know,” and he leans in close as if to share some conspiracy as he whispers, “About the cash?”
“Oh, the cash,” I mumble, and take a sudden interest in the dust gathering underneath my computer monitor. “Yeah, about that……”
“You mean to tell me,” Crow fairly growls, “That you haven’t got any Patreon followers yet?”
“Well, you know,” I reply sheepishly, “No one wants to be first.”
The black holes of Crow’s eyes twinkle with distant menace. “Maybe they lack conviction.”
“Maybe,” I nod, and seeing the darkness rising off him like steam, I hold up my hands to forestall any hexes he’s thinking of. “Now, don’t go cursing anyone.”
“Well, think if some stranger on the net rolled up and asked me for money, would I just hand it over? It’s not like us plebs at the bottom here are all rolling around in cash. Most of us have to consider wisely who we toss our spare coin to.”
“True,” Crow agrees grudgingly. “I suppose you’d have to, at least, provision them with some evidence of commitment, and not some half arsed attempt at putting up a Patreon page.”
Okay, fair point. I didn’t put much effort into the set up, but I knew it was going to take me a couple of months to get things rolling.
EDIT: I’ve since changed the tier system and reverted it to a basic plan. Let me explain…
In order to make life easier for myself, and to give you the chance to give fans a little something extra, I’ve reverted the page to a simple $1per month payment. For this Patrons will receive:
- Crow’s undying gratitude!
- Your name on R,S&F’s Honour Roll in digital perpetuity!
- A 10% discount on up coming releases and merch.
- An invitation to monthly Discord chat/AMA sessions.
- Patreon only sneak peeks at upcoming releases and unreleased material.
So if you want to support this blog and my work in general, head on over to Patreon and sign up.
Just Don’t Forget To Rest, Okay?
“Well,” Crow says with a yawn, “Seems like you didn’t need my help after all.”
“Perhaps, dear Crow,” I reply, “But it’s good to know your around.”
“Is there anything else before I go?”
I shake my head.
Crow smiles. “Seems like we’ve got a lot of work to do, and you look tired already.”
“I’ve just been a little under the weather. I’ll be fine.”
“Well, best get some rest,” and he pats me on the back. “Don’t want you getting burned out now, do we?”
“Amen to that, dear Crow. Amen.”
Crow cocks his head to one side. “Until later then.”
“Until later, dear Crow.” He disappears, leaving a faint ripple in reality.
And it’s time for me to do the same dear Reader, so for what it’s worth, I wish you all the best in these oft precarious and strange times. Let us see what kind of order we might wring from the chaos at the start of this new decade.
Until later, happy new year and good health to you all.
Support Root, Star & Feather
Hi, if you like what I’m doing and want to support the site:
- Give it a thumbs up down below ⇓ – it really helps.
- Follow or sign up for email notifications.
- Help pay the bills by becoming a Patron from just $1p/m.
- Buy a poor writer a coffee with a one time donation via Paypal.
- Sign up to the mailing list.
- Join me on Facebook.
#fantasy #sciencefiction #pulp #author #writer #writing